FAQ: What are the First Steps I Should Take After a Car Accident in St. Louis, Missouri?
In a recent year, more than 900 people were killed in Missouri traffic crashes and non-fatal car accidents are even more common. Therefore, it is important to know what steps you should take immediately after a car accident, especially since most drivers will be in approximately four accidents during their lifetime.
According to Mike Wyatt, car accident attorney at Mann, Wyatt & Rice Injury Attorneys in St. Louis, Missouri, the below steps should be followed in the event of a car accident:
- Immediately contact the authorities.
- If there is any chance that you have been injured, it is important to seek medical care right away, which might mean leaving the car accident scene in an ambulance or going to an emergency room on your own. Often, car accident injuries are not felt for several days after the accident, so it’s important to seek medical care even if you do not feel immediate or severe pain.
- Collect information from any and all witnesses of your car accident.
- Contact a car accident attorney immediately, if possible, prior to discussing the case with any insurance companies.
- Take photographs of the damage to your property and have medical documentation of any injuries and unusual symptoms.
- Do not accept any type of settlement offer without first understanding the long-term effects of the accident, especially your injuries. Your car accident attorney will help in this.
Contact a St. Louis Car Accident Attorney Immediately
If you have been injured in a St. Louis car accident, you may be entitled to file a personal injury claim for compensation. Compensation can cover the costs of medical treatment, rehabilitative care and property damage. Additionally, your settlement could provide compensation for lost wages, future lost income, pain and suffering, and emotional trauma.
The car accident attorneys of the Mann, Wyatt & Rice Injury Firm assist clients like you within the St. Louis area. If you retain Wyatt or one of our other car accident attorneys to pursue your car accident case, we will:
- Investigate your accident
- Negotiate with the applicable insurance company
- File and pursue a lawsuit (in the case of unsuccessful negotiations)
Request a free consultation with our team of St. Louis car accident attorneys or contact us directly at (877) 768-2400.