Oklahoma City Personal Injury Attorneys Answer: What are the First Steps I Should Take After a Car Accident?
In a recent year, there were 71,415 traffic accidents reported within the state of Oklahoma. Other studies have found that the average driver will be in approximately four accidents during their lifetime. Given such statistics, it’s important to know what steps you should take immediately after a car accident.
Mike Wyatt, car accident attorney at Mann, Wyatt & Rice Injury Attorneys in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, recommends following the below steps in the event of a car accident:
- Immediately contact the authorities.
- If there is any chance that you have been injured, it is important to seek medical care right away, which might mean leaving the car accident scene in an ambulance or going to an emergency room. Often, car accident injuries are not felt for several days after the accident, so it’s important to seek medical care even if you do not feel immediate or severe pain.
- Collect information from any and all witnesses of your car accident.
- Contact a car accident attorney immediately, if possible, prior to discussing the case with any insurance companies.
- Take photographs of the damage to your property and have medical documentation of any injuries and unusual symptoms.
- Do not accept any type of settlement offer without first understanding the long-term effects of the accident, especially your injuries. Your car accident attorney will help in this.
Contact an Oklahoma City Car Accident Attorney Immediately
If you have been injured in an Oklahoma City car accident, you may be entitled to file a personal injury claim for compensation. Such compensation could help with:
- Medical treatment
- Rehabilitative care
- Lost wages
- Future lost income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
The car accident attorneys of the Mann, Wyatt & Rice Injury Firm assist clients like you within the Oklahoma City area. If you retain one of our car accident attorneys to pursue your car accident case, we will investigate your accident, negotiate with the applicable insurance company and, file and pursue a lawsuit (in the case of unsuccessful negotiations).
Request a free consultation with our team of Oklahoma City car accident attorneys or contact us directly at (877) 768-2400.